The Ammunition Tracing Kit
The Ammunition Tracing Kit is designed to enable rapid, reliable, and responsible reporting of small-calibre ammunition in a variety of circumstances. It provides instructions for reporting on ammunition recovered at crime scenes and on cartridges collected during disarmament or weapons collection programmes; it also supplies guidelines for investigating parties to armed conflict or crime.
In addition, the Kit comprises the information needed to judge the validity and reliability of the data collected, understand the limitations of tracing data, and generate comparable information.
While offering guidance on issues such as safety considerations, the Tracing Kit also outlines the Small Arms Survey's comprehensive, evidence-based approach to ammunition tracing and its commitment to providing secure, impartial, and timely analysis of ammunition data.
The Ammunition Tracing Kit contains:
- A magnetic Ammunition Tracing Tool to measure cartridges, identify case composition, and photograph the ammunition.
- A Bullet Diameter Guide to establish the calibre of small-calibre cartridge-based ammunition and to photograph it against a clean background.
- Ammunition Tracing Protocols with important safety issues and guidelines for data handling and analysis.
- An Ammunition Tracing Manual with instruction on how to complete the Ammunition Reporting Forms and how to submit them to the Small Arms Survey for analysis.
Ammunition Reporting Forms to record specific types of ammunition and their identifying features:
- Ammunition Reporting Form Instructions
- Ammunition Reporting Cover Sheet
- Ammunition Reporting Form (long)
- Ammunition Reporting Form (short)
Download the full book:
- Ammunition Tracing Kit (6.9 MB)